Author: Steve (Moderator)

Money to last a month to pay all of your (on the road) expenses $3-5000
A dependable vehicle that’s not ugly*
Eight shirts with collars – plus a jacket for when it gets cold
Eight pairs of pants – Dockers preferred by most carriers
Eight pairs socks and underwear and T-shirts for when it gets cold
Boots/shoes to inspect roofs
Cougar Paws for steep roofs
Toiletries – hair brush, tooth brush, tooth paste, razor, sm. sized shampoo/mouthwash, etc…
Cell phone and charger
Ladder – the 17ft Little Giant or the knockoffs are a good all-around choice
Computer – laptop or tablet preferred – bring the Windows restore disk – pdf Factory pro installed
Backup PC / External HD or both
Digital camera (that uses AA batteries) and cable to upload photos – maybe a couple of disposal cameras for backup
Rechargeable Batteries plus charger– AA – at least 8 batteries
35 ft and 100 ft tape measure (plus an extra 35 foot as a backup)
Pitch gauge – either the Johnson $6 model or the Husky $30 digital model at Home Depot
Tool belt to hold your tools
Adjuster email address using Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail
GPS – Delorme Street Atlas (or MS Streets and Trips) OR Windshield mounted unit
External Keyboard/mouse
Printer, 2 extra ink cartridges and two reams of paper
Power Inverter – at least 400 watt peak power
Page Up® document holder
Generic business cards
4ft X 2ft folding vinyl table plus chair (Sam’s club) – some hotels don’t have great work areas
Clipboard and pens
Haag Shingle gauge
Jump drive – at least 1 gig in size
Calculator – small handheld unit
Sidewalk chalk for marking on shingles
Sm. size laundry soap and bleach – you don’t want large bottles sitting around the hotel room taking up valuable space
Extension cords – 25 ft
Surge Protectors
Alarm clock
Sleeping bag – I always wished I had brought one
Paper map of the area that you’re working
Leather gloves
Small pair of binoculars
All of your medication with refill info
List of all of your banking info that you might need
Sunscreen and Deep Woods Off mosquito spray or cream
Hat or baseball cap – a professional looking one
Cloth to wipe your sweaty brow
Handy wipes the clean your hands before shaking the insured’s hand – inspecting a roof can be a dirty business
A COUPLE GALLONS OF BOTTLED WATER AND EXTRA GAS CANS JUST IN CASE!
*Additionally – Ironically, you will probably drive more miles getting to the city where you are deployed than you will once you’re there. Is your vehicle ready that long trip? We have had adjusters in the past break down on the way to deployment and have to change plans because of a major breakdown. Unfortunately sometimes it is impossible to prevent a disaster. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is much better than the disaster of downtime just getting to a storm location. Therefore, your vehicle must be absolutely reliable to make it to the CAT location, back and forth daily and make it back home safe and sound. And, it takes more than a simple oil change to keep things running in tip-top shape. If you haven’t done the following lately, make a quick stop by your favorite mechanic and have these done prior to hitting the road:
A. Get a thorough tune-up;
B. Consider changing your transmission fluid and filter and differential oil;
C. Consider flushing and replace your coolant and brake fluid;
D. Top off your power steering fluid and windshield wiper fluid;
E. Grease the ball joints if they have the fittings;
F. Repair any leaks and replace your fan belts;
G. Have your battery checked;
H. Change all your filters (air and fuel);
I. Consider whether your tires and shock absorbers are up to the trip;
J. Consider balancing your tires and aligning your front-end;
K. If your check engine light is on, you may need an oxygen sensor as well.

Also, make sure you have worked out the details with your family and friends in regard to a possible long absence away.

Warren King
Printer
Date: Sep 2, 2008 4:57:14 AM PDT
Author: Warren King

Steve, we survived Gustav in BR! Mostly trees down and power off. Do we need a color printer and how are the photos printed in the report to our manager and also to the client? I have a rechargable perminant battery in my camera which i recharge in the truck or in my hotel room. Could you go over the advantage of having the rechargable battery camera vs the AA battery camera?

Steve (Moderator)
Printer
Date: Sep 3, 2008 5:11:42 PM PDT
Author: Steve (Moderator)

Originally Posted by KingFish:
Steve, we survived Gustav in BR! Mostly trees down and power off. Do we need a color printer and how are the photos printed in the report to our manager and also to the client? I have a rechargeable permanent battery in my camera which i recharge in the truck or in my hotel room. Could you go over the advantage of having the rechargeable battery camera vs the AA battery camera?

You do not HAVE to have a color printer, but the HP 4280 is very dependable and reasonable ($70).
Now days, we do not print the photos, we upload them into Xactimate or IntegriClaim and then we upload the report on the internet.
I always buy cameras that use the AA batteries. It's expensive to purchase propitiatory spare batteries. If I purchase a camera that uses AA batteries, my Energizer rechargeable work just fine. In fact, You can take literally hundreds of photos on a single charged set of Energizers.

HP Printer: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=printer&category=all-in-one&orderflow=1&a1=Brand&v1=Photosmart&product_code=CC210A%23ABA&catLevel=2

Steve

Attachment:
20d8e144864bbf141b65eeefbde8c2b2.jpg
   View
Description:
HP 4280

abiggerplate
Things to take with you on storm deployment
Date: Feb 6, 2010 3:29:14 PM PST
Author: abiggerplate

I found your PDF list very helpful, but I was suprised at the amount of cash you recommend. 3- $ 5,000 sounds like too much cash to be carrying. Debit cards, Credit card would seem safer. Or is cash king in these type of events?

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Forum Tags

There are no tags at this time.